pennsicdance: Dance Suggestions

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Aug 25 00:48:27 PDT 2005

A couple of comments:

Most of the things we're calling "parties" in the dance tent weren't
listed as such in the schedule, and their class descriptions all say
everyone is welcome (I just looked.) That's not even counting all the
invitations that some of the hosts handed out, pretty widely. I don't
think there's a single magic bullet to reach the people who think the
dancing in the tent is exclusive; they have a great variety of reasons
for thinking so, and many people new to dance do show up at such
happenings and have fun. The comment about mentioning not needing
special clothes is a good one, but probably will only bring in a
couple of extra people.

Justin said:

> Hmm. Problem is, statistically speaking, people tend to fixate on the
> dances they learn first. It's not 100% consistent, but it *is* pretty
> dramatic. Folks who learn the GOOP first tend to stay with it,

And note that many beginning dancers don't start with GOOPs these
days.  Me, I learned Hole in the Wall in Carolingia as my first dance,
I guess I'm showing my age ;-) but the point I'd like to make is that
the situation with GOOPs has changed a lot in the last 10 years, and
now they are rare or non-existent in many areas where they used to be
common. And in the areas where they're now rare, the older dancers
used to dance them and often have decided to not do so anymore. People
do change, and our community changes, too.

We're lucky that dancing is a cooperative group activity, or we'd be
in as bad 'a shape as the rapier and archery communities!

-- Gregory