pennsicdance: Evening Barn Dance at Pennsic

whirlygig at cox.net whirlygig at cox.net
Mon Jun 27 11:28:45 PDT 2005

Greetings to all !  :)

You're mission-  Should you choose to accecpt it:
Volunteer to lead dance in the barn for one or more
nights at Pennsic.  (this can be during the first
week, or war week.)
   And/or forward this message on to people you think
might be interested in doing this :)

The dance program/format - entirely up to you.  But
try to keep in mind this is for the general populace
rather then dancers in specific.  You will be
teaching/calling the dances as much as dancing them.
Will start generally around sundown and can go until
people get tired :)

~~~
Reason for doing this:
During war week, we have many fine balls/dance revels
planned- but as in the past- the Barn is also
available in the evenings for general dancing and
revelry.

I'm happy to help the Pennsic dance staff and take
over coordinating this aspect of Pennsic dance. (per
e-mail from Lyev at bottom of this message)
     It attracts new dancers, provides a good service to
the populace (if only by creating someplace to go
besides the parties), and it creates a "period" socal
activity.
   (Ok - and admittedlly - I also dislike seeing the
"puppy-pile" of board teenagers, Magic:TG players, and
RPGamers that have been taking over the barn in the
evening these past few years.)

However, I will be only arriving on-site (at the
earliest) Friday evening of the middle weekend- and I
do not wish to spend my entire War week in the barn :)
 (people to schmooze, bardics to sing, performances to
attend, dance revels to kick up my heels at...)  If
people volunteer for even *1* night, it provides the
service, without taking over one's entire week.

BTW - For future dance masters/mistresses/Laurals; - I
have found this a great way to 'cut teeth' learning to
teach/lead dance to moderately sized groups.  Esp
since the general populace tend to like the simpler
"golden oldies" over anything that would be for
demo's/show peices :)

Sooo....

First obsticle is musicians.  We have a many live
musicians for dance at Pennsic.  But are there enough
to split between the two venues?  Maybe.  Maybe Not.
My first thought - Ask them :)

Overall, the consensus between Adele and Lyev - Use
the "bard in a box" as needed- cuz canned music is
better then no music.  My idea- is to post a big sign
when we're using it- saying something like: "Dance
Musicians Wanted:  Enquire within  :)"   (or
something...)

Second obsticle- who's going to lead each night?
I'm happy to take a night or 2 - and work on finding
others to coordinate the rest.  I have a good
collection of CD music- and some sheet music.
My boom box is flaky, but serviceable.  ((If anyone
could volunteer to bring a good **reliable box**, I'd
apprecite it :) - electricity is available in the
barn))

Any volunteers???  (you can sign up solo or as a
group)
   Contact me with which nights:  Cathy 402-980-0886 (you can leave a voicemail if I don't answer);
ccoate25 at yahoo.com (or: whirlygig at cox.net)  subject:
"Re: evening barn dance at Pennsic"

Tuesday -
Wednesday -
Thursday -
Friday -
Saturday -
(war week)
Sunday (tent: English Revel) - __________
Monday (tent: Arbeau Party) - __________
Tuesday (Pennsic Ball/Blue Feather Ball) = HAVE FUN!!!
Wednesday - (east court/midnight maddness)"Dancer's
Challenge" __________
Thursday - (middle court) 15c Party = ((Lorelei? &
Friday - __________

See you at Pennsic!

Lorelei
whirlygig at cox.net