pennsicdance: Balls, Advanced/Beginner, etc, etc...

Patches023 at aol.com Patches023 at aol.com
Fri Sep 3 18:02:41 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/2/2004 7:29:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
annikki at comcast.net writes:
<There used to be complaints of "There's too many advanced classes, it's too
elitist!" going around, which led to our focus on beginner's classes.  Now
we're at fewer ones, and we still have beginners showing up, even when the class
descriptions specifically say "Advanced" or "Experienced."  I suspect that if
this is listed as a class, we'd still have the problem of less apt dancers
showing up and getting frustrated at the level and rate of things being taught.>
<snip> to an excellent proposal
<So here's the idea.  Most of the people with a big interest in doing harder
dances are
probably going to be able to pick them up at a speed more like that of the
walk-throughs
done during evening dance or refreshers at dance practice.  More than
anything, we need
time to practice these dances so they are more likely to remain in our
brains.  That doesn't
take a lot of time overall -- certainly there's time in those evening empty
slots mentioned
above.  Could we not have an advanced dancing _practice_ time set up for the
tent?  This is similar to what several of us were hoping to do Wednesday after
the scheduled classes, to practice neat stuff for Elayna's party.  However,
the Flamenco dance popped in.  We went to Del's camp to practice, but, as
mentioned before, campsites aren't ideal.>

I love this idea for more dancing, I miss hanging out with the people I used
to dance with.  However, I am not thrilled with making it more elitist by
having secret meetings or excluding people (some beginners have quite a knack and
will have a blast at these practices).  I think anything that is in a public
space (the dance tent) needs to be open to everyone.  We can make it plain in
the booklet and at each practice that these dances will be reviewed quickly if
necessary but many will be danced without a review.

Just my $0.02.

YIS
Patches