pennsicdance: Brainstormin' in the Rain

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Aug 31 15:33:36 PDT 2004

Adele's list of things was good in general, but I'd like to comment on
this one:

> 5. Change the scheduling of parties to something along the lines of
> 8-10, rather than 9-12,

This has been tried in previous years, and doesn't seem to work...
people just won't show up in large numbers until o-dark-30. It's worth
watching your clock; most things scheduled at 9 generally actually
start around 9:30. I believe that was the case for Elena's party and
the Ball this past year, but I wasn't paying that much attention...

> 6. Maybe a bid system for dance parties, decided upon by whoever is
> running dance after a particular deadline?

Um, isn't that what we have now?

> OR bring teacher scheduling in line with Pennsic University
> standards (which appear to be a limit of 4 classes per teacher,

In practice, that rule would not change anything due to the "but no
limit for good teachers" exception. Also note that Pennsic University
is much more oversubscribed than dance classes are. I've never liked
that rule, personally; if it were strictly enforced, several
subcatagories of PU classes would be gutted. The real problem is
first-come, first-serve class space.

-- Gregory