pennsicdance: Pennsic Dance Summary

Sean D. Sorrentino sdsorrentino at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 12:21:29 PDT 2004

--- Catherine Dean <catherinedean at earthlink.net>
> Second, it concerns me that a very small number of
> instructors are carrying a disproportionate amount
> of the teaching load... I did speak with several   >
folks at war who
> either (a) wanted to teach, but couldn't or (b)
> taught one class and would have like to teach two or
> three.  I think it would make sense to consider some
> sort of system whereby everyone is guaranteed at
> least one or two classes before anyone gets ten.

LET ME START BY SAYING THAT THIS IS NOT A RANT!!! TAKE
THIS FOR THE CONSTRUCTIVE OPINIONS IT IS!!! IF YOU
START A FLAME WAR OVER MY COMMENTS HERE I WILL SIMPLY
DELETE YOUR MAIL AND BLOCK YOUR ADDRESS!!!

i don't really understand why anyone would complain
that a few teachers taught a lot of classes. for some
people dancing is all they do. for a renaissance man
like myself, i like to spread myself around. i taught
dance for children, fought like a child, acted like a
child, i could go on, but you get the picture. (this
is where you laugh at the silly person)

if Henry of Malden and Judith de Northumbria wish to
chain themselves to the dance tent center pole and
teach a lot of classes, i say let them. they are both
competent. if you were one of those who wanted to
teach, but couldn't, you have to ask yourself why that
could be. Lyev opened it up to everyone far in advance
of Pennsic. the only thing we need to do is make sure
that the call for teachers gets spread wide enough to
be heard by all those who want to teach.

the one thing that i have learned over the years is
that you will always find people who are unhappy about
something or other. shooting for 100% satisfaction is
not a viable option. i could make a list of things
that didn't go my way for this Pennsic alone, but in
the end, what needed to happen, happened. hopefully
anyone who wanted to teach found out about this list
and joined it. hopefully next year they will get
notification and they will ask for their chance to
teach. but realistically the burden is on them to step
up.

REMEMBER THAT THIS IS NOT A RANT!!! BEFORE YOU DASH
OFF A RIGHTEOUS FLAMING RETORT, ASK YOURSELF WHAT YOU
WILL LOOK LIKE!!!! THIS IS MY OPINION!!!

by the way, kudos to Lyev for making it easy. and good
job also in dealing with class clowns like the guy who
kept asking questions in your basic beginner class.
(domenico tries to finish with a laugh line, but is
probably being too obscure for anyone except Lyev)
Domenico
sean

=====
Sean Sorrentino