pennsicdance: Hole in the wall and sharking dances

L.J. Sparvero lyev at verizon.net
Fri Feb 6 04:47:33 PST 2004

><sunshinegirl at s...> wrote:
>I know Hole in the Wall is not pre 1600 - when does it actually date
>to?

Playford (1695). As the dance is described, there's no mention of partner
stealing.

>And are things like "sharking" a period practice?

Arbeau (1596) describes Almans done where the gentlemen take steal else's
partner. He mentions that he doesn't condone that kind of behavior, since
it leads to quarrels. But he's also documenting it as an existing practice.

I believe La Caccia d'Amore (sometimes part 4 is done as the "Pinwheel
game" in the SCA) has men stealing in also (Negri, 1602).

Also the Corranto that Arbeau describes involves women leaving their
partners, and the men chasing after them.

The reason I'm posting the reply to the list too is that I'd like to know
if there are there other dances done at Pennsic that have "sharking" (even
if it's just a local convention, and not documented). Actually,
*especially* if it's a local convention that others haven't heard of. This
way I might be able to defuse some disagreements before they happen on the
dance floor. Pennsic pulls in alot of dancers from a wide area. I've been
trying to document the various reconstructions/conventions for doing
dances. This way, if two instructors teach the same dance differently, I'd
at least be able to be aware of the versions out there. As in, "You might
have learned this next figure in Barony X, where they do Y, but I'm going
to teach it to you as Z. Be aware of the differences if you travel."

Happy dancing! ;-) Don Lyev Davidovitch, Pennsic 33 European Dance Coordinator