pennsicdance: Dance Tent Floor- Informative update

Philip Lewis flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 22 06:34:59 PST 2001

Hi folks...
Just a blurb to let people know what is happening with the dance floor.

I am in touch with the consultant to whom i was directed last year
(Wulf/Patrick Covert) and he and i have come up with a plan.

We are going with an F pallet design with 3/4 plywood on tarp on ground.
It's probably not the best, but it's the best compromise I could
convince him of. It'll be a start and we can refine in future years if
necessary. (the material will recycle and it'll definatly be better
than concrete!  - perhaps "This floor has a grudge against me" ;)

Danielie (sp?) (or anyone else who remembers)- What was the thickness
and spacing of platform/supports on the stage that cracked? that might
influence final design. I though it was .5 plywood with spacers at
edges and center.

I'm still trying to find an appropriate finish that will accommodate
friction and weatherproofing issues. i will take suggestions privatly,
although it looks like it's going to be some sort of penetrating deck
sealer.

I'll also take suggestions for decoration of the floor.
My current thought is to stain in geometric patterns to give an
impression of parquet. Other options is to stain to look like plank
flooring... Not as interesting, but easier.

I'll also take volunteers who would like to help assemble/finish the
floor.  I hope to do this at the beginning of first week so the finish
has times to dry, and we have more time to use it!  If you are willing
to help, let me know when you think you'll be available, and i'll try
to work out a schedual.  If i can spair the time and it's amiable to
the coopers, i might try to go up the weekend before and start sealing
everything.

In Service,
Filip