pennsicdance: The Caroso Style Ball

Vanessa Layne dagoura at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 31 15:39:27 PST 2000

Pst!  Roselyne, Coz....

> Actually, my lord, it sort of *was* the theme of the Carolingian
> troupe's performance at the dance tent 2 Pennsics ago.  (And did
> you instigate that? :)

... you missread the attribution.  Those were my words, and he was
quoting me.

And I'm pretty sure _Desyre and Disdain_ was my fault, though I had
help. ;)

On to the meat...

> We-el... what if it were audience-participation with a few well-placed
> ringers in the audience?

I don't think you can trick people into not noticing an audience.  At
least, not without recourse to trick mirrors and the like.

And that's the crux of it: it's not that people have preconceived
notions about dancing before others, it's the weight of all those gazes
which is discomfitting.  ("They're watching me!")

About the exhibition idea, the idea of presenting dance as exhibition....

What do people feel about it, *personally*?  Is it like "Oo, ik", or
"nice idea someone else should do", or "gods, I have always wanted to
do that", or "I'm not feeling up to it but like the idea", or "it's
not period and I want nothing to do with it", or what?

I don't have any sense of whether people like it or not, at all.

-- Tibicen