pennsicdance: The Caroso Style Ball

Charles J. Cohen charles at eecs.umich.edu
Fri Mar 31 15:31:40 PST 2000

>Greetings, lordinges, from Roselyne!

I didn't write that.

>> > That being said, I think that if I arranged it so that our Caroso
>> > style ball was done as part of the exhibition, it would scare away too
>> > many dancers.  I don't *know* this, it is just my opinion.

I did write this.

>We-el... what if it were audience-participation with a few well-placed
>ringers in the audience?

At many of the exhibitions, it has people in the audience who watch
and also participate.  So it could work. I just like having a circle
of people around the dance area.

>> At some point, we talked about doing two Caroso Balls: the first a real
>> Caroso with the standard SCA format (which we'd do in the Dance tent or
>> barn), and the second a performance piece in which various of us agree
>> to work some stuff up and perform it in a "Caroso ball setting".  That
>> way, we can have the best of both worlds: a real Caroso that's
>> inclusive, and a "real performance setting."

I didn't write this either :)

>Not to pick nits, but isn't that the essential idea of what we are
>always doing in a Caroso ball?  :) As I understand it, the difference,
>(if any) is that you propose we work it up with a particular partner.
>One partner (or probably both) would then also have to work up a
>different piece with a second partner, and so on, in order to keep
>up the chain where the invited party selects the next dance and
>partner.

As far as the European style dancers are concerned, I think the only
difference would be that one ball would be on a stage, and the other
would be more private in the dance tent.

Thanks for posting!!

- Midair