pennsicdance: Music from the pennsic Pile

Vanessa Layne dagoura at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 30 16:50:40 PST 2000

Dani observes:

> The first thing that goes, when musicians get scarce, is the bass line,
> and most four-part arrangements seem to be lacking a certain je-ne-sais-
> quoi when the bass line disappears.

"Je-ne-sais-quoi"????

Try "renaissance-ness".

One of the most characteristic differences between Renaissance and
Baroque style music is in the use of inversion chords.  It was all the
rage as the Hot New Thing in the Baroque.  Inversion chords are used
*extremely* sparingly *if at all* in our period's music [1 big
exception which doesn't pertain to rendance].

If you strip out the bass line to a part arrangement which is period
or writen in a reasonable period style, you've just converted *all* of
the chords from root position to inversions (with the odd coincidental
exception where you just change which chord it is).

It stops sounding like Renaissance music.  It stops being in a period
style.

Nothing ruins the autheniticity of sound of a piece of music faster or
surer than taking away its bass line.

Nope, not even playing it on kazoos. :)

-- Tibicen  (Mighty small shawms ya got there...)