pdstaff: Dance Floor Maintenance - Quick questions

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 00:55:59 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I'll probably want Flip or other key dance floor reconstructionists to
contact me on this, but I basically just wanted to confirm a detail or
two, as we the floor staff are planning some much needed maintenance
for this year  (it is time to buy some new plywood and start making
some new floor boards).

Basically, I wanted feedback asap on what we need to order, as I am
putting in a request to the pennsic supply people this week, so that I
don't have to figure out how to move plywood in my honda civic.  :)

Our intention is to purchase 16 sheets of plywood this year, and to do
all the initial treatments required.  As for painting designs on them,
some of that might happen this year, but most of it will be in the
next year or two.  Gwommy and I were discussing, and based on how the
floor has been holding up since initial construction in 2001, we are
thinking that making a purchase like this, and a larger construction
effort, should happen every 3 years, and that 16 sheets should be
around 1/4th of the size of the floor, so something in the order of a
12 year lifespan.  (but this is flexible.  We've just realized that
especially with the heat, we want to be reasonable in our undertaking,
while still planning to get the floor up and running by the middle of
the first week).  Oh, and by doing this job every few years in
batches, it should be more economical on supplies (less paint drying
out and such), and easier for production purposes.

What I wanted to know is any details about the supplies, and initial
treatment of the plywood, so that we get the right stuff (And enough
of it).  I have been a part of it in the past, however I do not
remember all the details.  Of course we can buy some supplies when we
get to Pennsic, so it isn't critical to get it perfect right now,
Except:

What is the plywood actually called???  I think it is:
"3/4 inch, tongue in groove"  but I am not sure if there is anything
else about it.  Chip board?  Not sure.  I haven't purchased plywood
before.

Oh, and does anyone think there would be any financial deals if we
bought a different number of sheets?  Otherwise, we'll get 16 for now.

I think that is most of what I need to know.  Other than that, it
sounds like we need some sort of Waterproofing?  And then Primer, and
the base colour, and the border colour.

Does anyone have notes on this?  I think I mostly have notes regarding
putting the floor together.  What is the process?  How long should it
sit after Waterproofing?  How many square feet would a quart/gallon
cover?

Thanks everyone!!!
Darius

cell phone at Pennsic, either:  519-384-4938
Or toll free:  1-877-384-4938