minstrel: Mid-Realm Bardic Madness Challenges

Cerian Cantwr cerian at minstrel.com
Thu Oct 29 20:52:20 PDT 2009

Mid-Realm Bardic Madness XI

*** REMINDER ***  The hotel block expires this Friday, October 30th.
People should request the group rate under: Barony of the Cleftlands
SCA.

Hilton Garden Inn, Mayfield Village, 700 Beta Dr., Cleveland, OH, 44143
440-646-1777

Greetings and welcome are bid to all Bards, Troubadors, Trouveres,
Minstrels, Minnesingers, Jongleurs, Singers, Storytellers, Poets,
Scops, Skalds, Fillids, Olaves, Griots, Wordsmiths, and Friends of
these arts. Also Musicians, Dancers, Jugglers, Magicians, and Players
as well.

This year's Bardic Madness will take place on November 21st, 2009
(weekend before Thanksgiving). Our hosts will be the Barony of
Cleftlands (Cleveland, OH). Many thanks go to all of them for their
hospitality in helping the bardic community out this year.

The purpose of today's challenges is to encourage the participants'
creativity and artistic growth.  They are not meant to be
competitions - everyone who takes part can consider themselves a
winner.

Your response to the various challenges may be in many different
forms. Song or story are the most obvious choices; however juggling,
magic, instrumental, or dance can also express an idea or tell a
tale.  All of these could be used to answer a given challenge (though
perhaps not all at the same time :-) .  Our desire here is to be
inclusive rather than exclusive.  If you have something to share that
doesn't quite fit or that stretches the definitions a little, then
fire away.

It is our wish to create a "bardic safe zone" - a friendly place
where you may feel free to experiment and try new things.  If you've
never performed before, now's your chance.  You'll be hard pressed to
find a friendlier and more supportive audience.  We would be
delighted to see lots of first time performers.

Please remember, in order to make sure as many gentles get a chance
to perform as possible, we ask that you limit your performances so
that they run less than five minutes.

For more event information, see the website at
http://tilted-windmill.com/bms11/  Additional information will be
posted there as it becomes available.

For questions about the days challenges or participating in the concert
please contact the provost:
    Lucia Elena Braganza
    kcoutinho at att.net

For questions about the site and logistics, please contact the
autocrat:
    Tyzes Sofia
    216-548-4747
    karoline at karolinekramer.com

The Challenges

Fyt the First:

Pass the Tale:
All those who wish to participate get up together, and tell a tale
from beginning to end.  The challenge's patron will 'conduct' by
pointing to the person whose turn it is to continue the tale, and
deciding when it is time to end.

Hail to the Chief:
A queen is often held as the inspiraton of all that we do. Regale us
with a piece about (or for) your faviroite monarch.

Don't Piss Off the Goddess:
Pick a pantheon - Greek, Norse, Roman, Celtic, or something else. Run
ins with goddesses rarely go as expected. Tell us of an... incident.

2nd fyt:

Stir Fry:
Given a list of words, do something artistic with them.

Battle of the Sexes:
Often it boils down t this - the guys vs the gals. Choose your side and
make your case.

Period Piece:
Perform a documentably period piece of music, story, or song (poetry,
prose, and so forth are good too). Dig out those reference books, blow
off the dust (try not to sneeze), and see what wonderful and magical
treasures you can find in them. There is a staggering amount of
fantastic material out there. Find something, be it silly or sublime,
and amaze us with it.

3rd fyt:

A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words:
Members of the populace will draw pictures for this challenge based on
the theme: a great journey (feel free to define this broadly).
Participants will pull both a drawing and a song out of a hat just
before the challenge starts. Write two verses and a chorus about the
picture using the tune.

Form Challenge - Rime Royal:
The rhyme royal stanza consists of seven lines, usually in iambic
pentameter, set a-b-a-b-b-c-c.  Geoffrey Chaucer used it often,
including for four of the Canterbury tales, and James I of Scotland used
it, perhaps inspiring the designation "royal" rhyme. It remained very
influential among English and Scottish poets after Chaucer's death,
finally falling out of fashion during the reign of Elizabeth I.

    The rime royal and royal rhyme's the same
    Good Chaucer liked it, as did James the First
    An a-b-a-b tercet starts the game
    Followed by b-c-c couplet versed.
    If different parsing is to be coerced,
    A terza rima with two couplets endowed.
    But we'll say both are fair and both allowed

Warrior Women:
Joan of Arc led the French army, Penthesilea ruled the Amazons, and the
Farmer's Wife defeated the Three Blind Mice. Tell us of a woman who
bravely battled her foe, regardless of the size.

4th fyt:

Bard Scribe Illuminator:
Given a subject in the morning, compose, calligraph, and illuminate a
text on that subject. This may be done individually or as a team.

Toasting:
Feast time is traditionally when we raise our glasses on high to honor
the crown and other deserving individuals. Given a topic or person at
random, create an appropriate toast for them.

Love & Madness:
Each course of tonight's feast has a dish to inflict madness and another
to relieve it. Little in life inflicts as much madness as love. Give us
a piece about one, the other, or both.

Challenge General Rules

Challenges are not contests. You win by entering and striving to do
the best you can.

Challenges are designed to encourage you to try your hand at
something new, to stretch yourself, to enjoy, and to celebrate the
creative spirit.

Read the guidelines for the challenges carefully, like most
exercises, they are designed to help you develop in specific areas.
Try to follow them as closely as you can, but stretching them in
unexpected directions is good too.

Individuals are welcome and encouraged to give recognition to those
performers whom they especially enjoy.

In order to allow the largest number of people to participate,
challenge entries shall be limited to five minutes or less. Each
person may enter a maximum of one piece in each challenge and a
maximum of eight challenges.