minstrel: Home recording

Frederick J. Hollander flieg at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 31 14:51:09 PDT 2009

What he said.

In addition, the settings for the Windows Sound Manager (or whatever it's
called these days or whatever was put in by your video card to manage the
sound for games) can be critical, as can the suspension on your mike.  I
got the underwater quality when I tried recording with the mike on the desk
in front of me.  It was picking up the rumble of the fans that were cooling
the comp.  (Not the air-rush, but the bearing rumble.)  When I picked it
up, the problem went away.  This is more obvious when you have volumes set
low so that the mike is essentially over-driven.

-- Flieg