minstrel: Home recording

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Aug 31 12:32:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 08:33:16AM -0700, sca_bard at yahoo.com wrote:

> My real question is: how important is the mic quality?

Very, but, I've used an inexpensive "Optimus Unidirectional Dynamic
Microphone" from Radio Shack to make some recordings which were pretty
good -- little static and it doesn't sound "underwater". It's the
style of mic you see singers singing into, although I'd bet most
people pay a lot more than what this low-end one cost.

It could be that you have an impedence mismatch with the one you're
using.

> How likely is it that the computer could be a problem?

Not very.

-- Gregory