minstrel: EMS Cittern Kit

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Mon Aug 31 08:15:48 PDT 2009

Dear SCA Musicians,

I have recently been using an Irish bouzouki, restrung and capoed at
the 7th fret, to approximate a Renaissance cittern. (It works pretty
well and sounds reasonable, although the sound is not quite as
'bright' as recordings I have heard. A mandolin sounded a little
better but the scale length is too short compared to an actual
Renaissance cittern.) I would like an actual cittern, but I haven't
found any relatively inexpensive ones other than the EMS cittern kit.

So - Has anyone built the EMS Cittern kit? How difficult did you find
it to build (and what was your level of woodworking expertise at the
time?) How did your instrument turn out?

-Aaron Drummond
Barony of Cynnabar