minstrel: Theater of the time

Ted Robertson worg29 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:53:22 PDT 2009

Where was this? Of course everything varies from place to place and
time to time, but my understanding is that as a general rule, the
church came down against performers, ostensibly because they the were
competition. I've never heard of church plays before. Improvisational
chant and dancing monks would fall still within  bounds of church,
well, performance. This is very different from theater, which was
considered very secular and rather suspect. I'd be interested to know
your sources?

Teadoir