minstrel: theatre

Ellen Rawson silme13 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 00:16:55 PDT 2009

--- On Tue, 4/7/09, nickolas kaugon <ollaimh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> i was saying that even in shakespearean times many thought
> shakespear was too violent. the french especially. if you
> look at villion all the action and violence was symboliclly
> done and very antiseptic to our cgi jaded eyes. they were no
> where as over stimulated as us so much easier to shock on
> many topics, while real life was shorter and more brutal. an
> interesting dicotomy.

I am assuming that Villion is a playwright with whom I am unfamiliar. Could you talk more about him? I'm more familiar with period French playwrights such as Jodelle and Garnier.

If you want to look at the dichotomy between violence on and off-stage, go back to the Greek/Roman dichotomy. :)

Foakes' study on violence in Shakespeare  ('Shakespeare and Violence') is quite an intriguing read.

And I assume that as many of you as possible will travel to York next summer for the once-in-every-four-years performance of the mystery plays within the streets of that city -- 11 and 18 July. :)
http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/  We haven't been given the official college calendar for next year yet, but I'm hoping that I'll be done in time not to worry about the five-hour drive home on Sunday, 18 July, to be present first thing in class on Monday morning. :) (Planning ahead: Lincoln's next cycle is in 2012, Chester's is 2013.)

Ariel

"Literature stops in 1100.  After that, it's just books."
-- JRR Tolkien