minstrel: duclimer & modes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Nov 26 21:25:05 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 06:29:42PM -0700, yarrowp at mscd.edu wrote:

> Strike that.  I went back and looked at my copies.  The Kettlewell is hammered dulcimer;

As a by-the-way, it's worth noting that the period English word for
hammered dulcimer is "dulcimer", or "psaltry" if plucked. The various
Appalachian-dulcimer-like thingies all had period names other than
dulcimer, and outside of the US, you don't see Appalachian dulcimers
called plain "dulcimer" very often. So it's no surprise that there's a
bit of confusion about the name.

-- Gregory

More information about the minstrel mailing list