minstrel: hello hello

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Nov 17 13:16:40 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 09:38:22PM -0500, Jason Benson wrote:

> I've always suspected a strong relationship between Greece and the near east
> with this family of instruments. When you think about the amount of trading
> that's gone on in the mediteranian over the last couple thousand years it's
> inevitible that this level of cross pollination would exist.

It's not just trading -- Greeks colonized and settled all over the
eastern Mediterranean area. It's only recently (end of WWI) that
Turkey lost most of its Greek population. So it's no surprise that
many instruments and foods and drinks and clothing items are shared
among various countries, just with different names.

The main clue that my local "Mediterranean Wraps" restaurant isn't
greek is the photo of King Abdullah and Queen Noor on the wall.

-- Gregory

p.s. Apologies to you Yahoo users, Yahoo is currently delaying email
deliveries from my server...  their anti-spam policies are so strict
that many legit sites have a hard time getting mailing lists to send
to Yahoo users.