minstrel: guitar lute & others

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Jul 14 11:02:37 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 05:55:17PM -0500, Lisa and Ken Theriot wrote:

> And as always, you need to decide whether it is
> important enough to you to be absolutely authentic to bear the
> inconvenience of playing, for example, an instrument with friction pegs
> and gut strings (rather than machine pegs and nylon strings) which will
> be forever going out of tune.  Modern instruments are different often
> for good and practical reasons.

This strikes me as a funny statement.

First, nothing is absolutely authentic. Everything we use is
unauthentic in some way or another, and it's fun to try to
minimize the unauthentic stuff.

Second, my modern cello has friction pegs and gut strings -- that's
the way most good cellos are set up. Not surprisingly, the viola da
gamba community always uses friction pegs and gut strings. While there
are plenty of jokes about gambas playing out of tune, it's not a
significant problem. The one solo lute concert I've been to featured a
guy with friction pegs and gut strings. He didn't have a significant
problem with them. You might want to try it sometime.

-- Gregory