minstrel: Performance styles was Calling On Song

Ellen Rawson silme13 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 11:18:00 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 6/11/08, Patricia Yarrow <yarrowp at mscd.edu> wrote:

> You should hear his Tam Lin.  Really, you should,
> especially since you
> mentioned the narrative elements of the ballad.  His
> ornamentation is superb
> and very, very natural.

And if you like Mike Waterson's 'Tam Lin' (which I do also), you probably will love Frankie Armstrong's rendition. She's re-recorded it for her new release, btw.

How do you feel about Peter Bellamy? He definitely had a distinctive vocal style. I love it that young folk performers, such as Jon Boden, state Bellamy as an influence. (Okay, he also says Martin Carthy is an influence. Jon Boden has great taste. :)

Ariel