minstrel: A Calling-On Song

Ellen Rawson silme13 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 10:43:07 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 6/11/08, Lisa and Ken Theriot <Lnktheriot at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> You might be interested in http://www.frankiearmstrong.com/
> ; Frankie is
> a ballad performer and a voice teacher (a founder of the
> "Natural Voice
> Practitioners Network").  She does NOT sing through
> her nose.  Her style
> is "balls out", no vibrato, mood colored to match
> her material.  That's
> the country aesthetic I think most performers would have
> had, assuming
> they had the natural gift for it.

When I first started singing in the SCA, in the early '80s, she was the performer I emulated. And I still emulate her. She's incredible, and she's still out there. Her latest CD is excellent.

How much do I like Frankie Armstrong? She was playing a double bill with Leon Rosselson in April -- one night only in *Cardiff*, which is almost a three-hour drive from our home. However, it was a Thursday night during my two-week Easter holiday from teaching, so I wouldn't have to get up early on Friday and the husband could take off work. Therefore, we drove to Cardiff for the show.

Frankie is in her late 60s now, but her voice is still as strong as ever. It had been years since I'd seen her perform live, and I just sat there, in the front row, in awe. (And she had Bob Evans playing crwth with her on a couple of songs, for a period instrument. :)

She is highly recommended.

Ariel