minstrel: A Calling-On Song

Patricia Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Wed Jun 11 08:57:43 PDT 2008

I got a private email objecting to my use of "muddy" to describe The
Watersons' sound.  I wasn't trying to denigrate their sound.  Perhaps it
would clarify if I said that to my ear, I'm hearing more notes than there
are voices sounding.  It's possible that they're getting more overtones, or
different ones, than we usually hear in singing.  Think of a wirestrung harp
that's getting audible sympathetic ringing across the range of the
instrument when one of its bass notes is struck.