minstrel: lute

nickolas kaugon ollaimh at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 13:03:00 PDT 2008

i finally found a lute. it's an eight course
ren/baroque lute, made by aria in the seventies but
with a replacement top in period style so it sounds
light, and was cheap.

so any opinions on tuning an eight course lute. i
think its g to g for the top six strings and the two
lower as bass notes like d and c or to compliment
whatever key you paly most in. i lost my last lute in
a fire fifteen years ago so its been a wait/

it won't lokely replace my cittern but it will be nice
for "finger stlye like guitr accompanyments" to songs.

i also discovered thewre were two styles of
calasciones, not and italian take out dish.

the southern was a bouzouki relative but single strung
with usually three strings but sonetimes four but
there were german versions with siz single strings.
those guitar lutes that every one makes fun of they
are german calascones. if they had pegs they would be
period. who knew?

now getting one would re3quire a luthier and a lot of
cash but hope eternal springs for classical guitar players