minstrel: getting started with medieval singing

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu May 8 13:30:27 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:21:41PM -0600, Patricia Yarrow wrote:

> Singing Early Music: The Pronunciation of European Languages in the Late
> Middle Ages and Renaissance (Music--Scholarship and Performance) (Paperback)

This is a great book. It comes with a CD that has recordings of
pronunciations, which I found a lot more useful than the phonetic
explanations, which I can't read. (Lazy me, I also can't read
Labanotation, used for dance. Go figure.)

An even larger collection of lyrics can Margaet Switten's _The
Medieval Lyric_. It comes with 5 CDs of recordings -- at $50 it's a
great value. I actually bought the teaching CDs, too, so it's a
total of 12 CDs of material.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/medst/medieval_lyric/

And finally, I'd like to recommend 3 online bibliographies, which have
a lot of useful information. All are linked at the top of the instrel
Homepage:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/minstrel/

-- Gregory