minstrel: help looking at a book

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Apr 10 19:31:42 PDT 2007

I've always been curious if the Dutch have sea shanties from before
1600, since they had a lot more sea stuff going on than then English.

I see there's a book, "Wat lijdt den zeeman al verdriet: het
Nederlandse zeemanslied in de zeiltijd, 1600-1900". (Zeemanslied = sea
man's song.) It's so obscure that Stanford and Berkeley don't have a
copy; OCLC claims that UIUC, UMich, Cornell, LOC, Columbia, and
Harvard are the only copies in the US.

I'd love it if someone was interested in looking at it to see if it
seems to have any tunes close to 1600. Yes, it's in Dutch. Fortunately,
they write their dates just like we do. :-)

If I don't get any nibbles I'll see about ILLing it, but it seems a
shame to ILL something that only has an iffy chance of being useful.

Any takers?

-- Gregory