minstrel: updated songbook

Malinda Terry duchessmalinda2006 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 19:58:47 PST 2006

Greetings!
  I don't know if you post this kind of thing, but I wanted to let people know that the new Minstrel Series Songbooks are done being updated, finally!  I had not reprinted them since 1996.  I will have a CD available at Estrella War this year too.  I appreciate your help!  Thanks!
  Duchess Malinda of Elkhaven
  Kingdom of Atenveldt

  Minstrel Series Songbooks Now Available
  Whenever possible, chords have been included in the book.  If the tune still eludes you, look for either myself, Yonatan, or your local bard, and we will endeavor to enlighten you.

  This is the Third edition of this songbook I have edited; the first one was in 1979.  Much has happened since then, but music stays the same.  I've attempted to collect what I felt were the classics in the history of SCA music. In doing research and trying to date the majority of the songs in this volume I found that many are not period for the SCA.  They sound period and that is what matters, isn’t it? These songs definitely are anachronistic.

  I’ve included the first date the song can be dated back to, for those purists who truly want period music.  Almost none of these have a known author.  Many are from Childs Ballads.  Published between 1882 and 1898, Professor Francis James Child collected a total of 305 ballads, and all their variations.  No one has ever done such exhaustive research on English and Scottish ballads. His ten volumes of ballads remain the high watermark in ballad research. Many of these older ballads root’s go back to the Middle Ages, but there’s no documentation to prove it, before Child’s Ballads.

  For the songs in the volume of period music I researched the first published date of that song to aid anyone wanting to document a song before singing it in a arts & science competition.  I checked the copyrights of the songs too.  .

  The songs in the Minstrel’s Basement are popular filk songs in the SCA.  Some of the filk songs fall in a gray area.  I found that the authors of the original tunes for many of the songs written between 1930 and 1970 waived their copyrights, and many of the writers and musicians are dead.  If I found nothing when searching the copyright, I assumed it was permissible

  The songs in the Minstrel’s Heart are original tunes and words written by some of the SCA’s finest bards, which include Master Baldwin of Erebor, Master Yonatan vom Schwartzflek, and Master Ioseph of Locksley.

  Minstrel Yonatan has a volume in this series of his songs.  I have had the good fortune to be his friend and live nearby for many years, which means I sing with him more than almost anyone else.  I am much honored that he has allowed me to reproduce his music.  Currently he is singing with the Whiskey Bards and his CD’s can be found at www.Whiskeybards.com.

  The Minstrel’s Nursery is a collection of songs and rhymes for children.  I put this together when my daughter was born to help jog my memory when I tucked her into bed every night.  It also helped her learn how to read as she sang along with the songs.

  There is a bonus volume of filk for anyone who orders the entire Minstrel set. It is only available when ordering the entire set.

  The five volumes and their prices are:

    Description
    # of songs
    # songs with
  chords
    # of pages
    Price
      Minstrel’s
  Hall
    Period Music
    90
    84
    122
    $8.00
      Minstrel’s
  Basement
    SCA Filk
  Music
    40
    32
    58
    $5.00
      Minstrel’s
  Heart
    Original SCA
  Music
    20
    17
    34
    $3.00
      From the Minstrel
  Yonatan’s
  Mouth
    Songs written
  and sung by Master Yonatan

  38

  28

  49

  $3.00
      Minstrel’s
  Nursery
    Period music for children
    75
    24
    46
    $3.00

  Bonus
  Filk Songs

  SCA filk

  39

  29

  48
    Free when you order all five books

  If you order the entire set it is $20.  This price is only for the e-mail version.  As you can imagine printing and shipping the songbook always cost a pretty penny.  The CD with all of the songbooks is $24, and that includes shipping.

  The entire set of songbooks has been checked by Norton Internet Security System for virus problems and was written in Microsoft Word.

  To order the entire set, or individual volumes, make your payment through: www.paypal.com to Duchessmalinda2002 at yahoo.com
  Please make sure you send me a separate email if you do not want the songbook emailed to the email address you use for Pay Pal.  Also, if you order separate individual volumes, email me and let me know exactly which volumes you paid for on Pay Pal.  My email for correspondence is Duchessmalinda2006 at yahoo.com  If you would rather, you can mail a money order to:
   Malinda Terry
  7447 E. 31st Street
  Tucson, AZ  85710

  No checks please!

  If you have any questions, or would like an index of songs, please contact me.

  Duchess Malinda of Elkhaven
  Kingdom of Atenveldt

Sponsored Link

   Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms