minstrel: first message on the list & a query

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Mon Feb 27 07:24:09 PST 2006

It's not a bad idea at all, but then you need to take it a step further and
*identify* the melody thus extracted.  You needn't stay with the 15th
century, or France, for that matter.

Another tune that had "mass appeal" is the late 15th century English secular
song "Western Wynde," which appears in masses by Taverner, Tye and Sheppard.
Lyrics for the song:

'Westron wynde, when wilt thou blow,
The small raine down can raine.
Cryst, if my love were in my armes