minstrel: first message on the list & a query

Cynthia J Ley cley at juno.com
Sun Feb 26 08:33:19 PST 2006

"L'homme arme" is actually a secular tune, which Dufay swiped for use in
a Mass.

That said, the practice of doubling a note value or diminishing it by
half was not unknown in period practice. For instance, canons could be
performed in augmentation, in which the note values in one or more parts
were double that of the original melody; or performed in diminution, in
which case the note values would be half of those shown in the original
tune.

Super simplistic translation:
a quarter note in the original tune becoming a half note is augmention
a quarter note in the original tune becoming an eighth note is diminution

Arlys