minstrel: first message on the list & a query

Kevin Brock kevinmbrock at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 25 14:23:56 PST 2006

Hi there. My good friend and master, Efenwealt, had suggested I join the
list because there was some interesting discussion going on.

Having seen a bit of a lull, I thought I'd pose a question that had
intrigued me, but it's in part because my music background isn't extensive
enough to know whether or not my idea is cockamamie or not.

The notion is this: in the 15th century "L'homme arme" masses, the tenor is
the melody of the tune "L'homme arme" itself. Is it possible to look at some
contemporary masses and: 1) extract the tenor part so that 2) we can perhaps
speed up or manipulate the tenor part into creating a viable melody,
separate from the mass? Think of it as a musical reverse-engineering, of
sorts. I keep meaning to test this out to see if I can come up with
potential melodies to songs, but I haven't had time recently.

I recognize that this idea may be 100% crap - my focus is generally on
medieval poetry rather than music theory. However - I thought I'd pose the
question to you anyway, to see what you all think.

Thanks!
Olivier de Bayonne
Atlantia