minstrel: Shakespere Quote

warden warden_2 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 15:25:28 PST 2006

Thought the list would enjoy this quote.
-Robert
(just call me a rascal fiddler;)

The Taming of the Shrew
ACT II
SCENE I.

BAPTISTA

      What, will my daughter prove a good musician?

HORTENSIO

      I think she'll sooner prove a soldier
      Iron may hold with her, but never lutes.

BAPTISTA

      Why, then thou canst not break her to the lute?

HORTENSIO

      Why, no; for she hath broke the lute to me.
      I did but tell her she mistook her frets,
      And bow'd her hand to teach her fingering;
      When, with a most impatient devilish spirit,
      'Frets, call you these?' quoth she; 'I'll fume
      with them:'
      And, with that word, she struck me on the head,
      And through the instrument my pate made way;
      And there I stood amazed for a while,
      As on a pillory, looking through the lute;
      While she did call me rascal fiddler
      And twangling Jack; with twenty such vile terms,
      As had she studied to misuse me so.