minstrel: Re: minstrel 12/8 time signature

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:31:06 PST 2006

The rhythmic modes were numbered, just as the melodic modes were.

They are sometimes given names derived from poetry, as follows with
approximate equivalents in 6/8 time.
Mode I:  trochaic   quarter eighth quarter eighth
Mode II:  iambic		eighth quarter eighth quarter
Mode III:  dactylic   dotted quarter eighth quarter
Mode IV:  anapestic	eighth quarter dotted quarter
Mode V:  spondaic		dotted quarter dotted quarter
Mode VI:  tribachic	eighth eighth eighth eighth eighth eighth

Bear in mind that the rhythmic modes were considered obsolete by the time of
the Ars Nova movement in the 14th century, so by no means all medieval music
subscribed to them.

For slightly more information:

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textr/Rhythmicmodes.html
http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory20.htm