minstrel: Re: minstrel 12/8 time signature

Scott Vaughan wystle at ipass.net
Fri Feb 3 08:40:35 PST 2006

It is my understanding that composers/collectors of medieval music did not
really think in terms of "time signatures" as we do today. They were thinking
in terms of rhythmic modes - patterns of rhythm which often seem syncopated to
our modern ears. The middle-eastern patterns that Vivien mentioned is a pretty
good metaphor.

So now, I think the important question is, are there names for medieval rhythmic
modes, like middle-eastern rhythms, or western *harmonic* modes?

--
Master Efenwealt Wystle (aka Scott Vaughan)
http://www.AngevinTreasures.com