minstrel: 12/8 time signature

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Fri Feb 3 07:36:37 PST 2006

You're correct on your definition of triplet, and I misspoke.  I'm afraid I
was reverting to the method my theory profs used for counting the eighth
note in a compound rhythm:  for 12/8, it was one trip-let two trip-let three
trip-let four trip-let.  Then when those notes were divided it was counted
one-a-trip-a-let-ta etc.  Apologies.  Too many semesters waving my hands in
the air to obscure conjuration patterns while chanting arcane syllables.

For those interested in exploring compound time in more detail, I might
suggest this site:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory15.htm  This site is particularly useful
in that it gives both American and British terminology.

Vivien