minstrel: 12/8 time signature

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:31:17 PST 2006

Greetings, Robert.

That's exactly what 12/8 means.  It isn't 12 beats per measure, it's 4, with
each beat subdivided into triplets.  Similarly, 9/8 is three subdivided
beats per measure, and 6/8 is 2 subdivided beats.  It's what is referred to
as a compound time signature, and I wouldn't say that it's syncopated unless
the beat falls somewhere other than where it naturally would.

Note:  9/8 in Middle Eastern music does not necessarily follow this
convention - Middle Eastern rhythms are additive, and karshlimar is a 9/8
that's divided quarter quarter quarter eighth eighth eighth.  There are also
some interesting additive rhythms in traditional Breton music, such as
11/16.  Don't try to turn them into compound rhythms unless they're clearly
divisible by 3, such as 15/8.

Vivien