minstrel: 12/8 time signature

warden warden_2 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 10:04:15 PST 2006

Greetings to the list!

I have a question regarding time signatures in music.

I was listening to some Scot Joplin rag time a while ago while looking
at the sheet music and noticed that the syncopation is written as
triplets, in other words, a quarter note and an eighth note combined as
a triplet for one beat.

Recently I heard a medieval song called "Da Que Deus Mamou" by Alfonso
X, which has the same syncopated rhythm (although slower).  It was
written in 12/8 time with alternating quarter notes and eighth notes for
the fast part and dotted quarter notes for the slow part.  If I tap my
foot really fast, I can do 12 beats to the measure, but I realized that
rhythm is actually 4 triplets per measure. The natural foot tapping mode
is 4 beats per measure with the dotted quarter note getting one beat.

So my question, is how best to describe this.  There doesn't seem to be
a convention for this type of time signature except to write it as 12/8,
which doesn't reflect one beat for the dotted quarter note.  The
alternative is to write it out as triplets so that the quarter note gets
one beat.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated!

-Robert
Caer Galen