minstrel: Lute Tuning

Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson dramey at dragonsbend.net
Fri Nov 4 08:28:25 PST 2005

I recently received a Lute from the Early Music Store as a gift from my
parents and my household.  It was a very touching gift as I have wanted one
for a long time.  Little did I know that I had NO IDEA how to tune it.   The
book that came with it was for an 8 course lute.  The one I got was a 7
course lute.   I am not sure which strings to tune to which notes.   I am
fairly confident that the top (or bottom)... Higher pitch anyway, 6 courses
tune the same.   But on the internet I have read different tunings and I
want to know which I should use for most early music?  Right now I have
settled on the following tuning:

D  G   C   F   A   D   G

D  F   G   C   F   A    G  - This is the 8 course tuning in the book that I
received.

Thanks for any advice you might have,

Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson
MKA: Daniel Ramey