minstrel: Corvus Corax

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Oct 11 16:37:43 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:25:34PM +0100, Barbara Webb wrote:

> Now you may suggest that the way they play these tunes is not medieval;
> but a fair proportion of these CDs is on authentic instruments and you'd
> be hard put to prove "it was never played that way" for _all_ the tracks.

I thought it was really interesting how they could get a techno-
sounding backing track out of authentic percussion instruments.  And
some of the pieces are straight medieval without the techno-feeling.
For example, a couple of the medieval instrumental dance tracks could
have come straight off of the Istanpitta CDs, and straight out of
Timothy McGee's book on the topic. And the techno backing-track is more
fun than the lame doumbek playing on that one Istanpitta track :-)

-- Gregory