minstrel: oud

Seabrook, Richard rhseabrook at aacc.edu
Sun Jul 10 17:11:18 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From:	minstrel-bounces at pbm.com on behalf of nickolas kaugon
Sent:	Wed 7/6/2005 11:21 PM
To:	minstrel at pbm.com
Subject:	minstrel: oud
i just got an oud off ebay . it wasn't being bid on
It's nice to see the interest in the Oud!  My son
brought one back for me from Morocco last month
and I've been trying to learn some scales at least.
It has 6 courses tuned as follows:
D-GG-AA-DD-GG-CC which is the Syrian tuning as
opposed to full-step-higher the Turkish tuning, I
think.
Don't have a good source for a risha yet either,
although there are several Internet sources and
plans for making one out of bamboo.
I found CDs by Tariq Banzi and by Simon Shaheen to
provide some interesting ideas about how to play.
Dick S.