minstrel: oud

Tadhg O Cuileannain tadhg at flash.net
Sun Jul 10 17:00:01 PDT 2005

At least three of us--and I'm sure I've had
discussions with others over the past few years.

I got mine on ebay--it's from Mid-East imports, and
was going cheap because of some scarring on the
pickguard.  I drilled some new holes in the bridge and
made a new nut to convert it from 6 courses to 5
(partly for authenticity and partly because I couldn't
get my fingers in there with 12 strings in 1.5").  I
tune it E A D F# B E.

I play medieval music on it: some troubadour songs,
Iberian cantigas, a bit of Andalusian stuff, and a
couple of 14th c. Italian tunes.

Tadhg

--- Dustin <dmusica at cox.net> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Dustin wrote:
>

> > On Jul 6, 2005, at 10:21 PM, nickolas kaugon
> wrote:
> >
> >> this is going to be fun fun fun untill daddy
> takes the flat
> >> pick away.
> >
> > Didn't you mean to say:  fun, fun, fun until the
> daddy takes the
> > risha* away? ;-)

> > * or mizrap if you play Turkish Oud.
> >

> Well, I was hoping this might turn into discussions
> about ouds.
> Congratulations on getting your new oud.
>
> I have had my Turkish now for a little over 2 years
> now and I love it
> (I still play my hammered dulcimer and harp more,
> though). The person
> that gave it to me also got it from e-bay. They had
> a cool store out of
> Istanbul, but I have not seen their e-bay store in
> almost a year. The
> oud was really cheep ($100), but the shipping was
> what really bumped up
> the price ($70). Still, for how good this thing is
> built, it is
> comparable to maybe a $250 guitar. I had to drill
> new holes in the
> tuning pegs (the original ones were too close to the
> peg holes), put
> chock on the pegs (to keep them from slipping) and
> restring it (Bella
> Strings seem to be the best..probably too good for
> my oud). It stays in
> tune really well (especially for the crappy random
> weather of
> Oklahoma). I tune it like this (from low to high)
> E-A-B-E-A-D which
> allows you to drone on the two main keys (E & A). I
> mostly play
> medieval and middle-eastern music on it, but I found
> some Italian
> renaissance music like La Catena d'Amore sounds good
> on it.
>
> So, that makes two of us on this list that play oud.
> I know there are
> more than us. Who else out there plays it?
>
> Dustin Cooper (Morgan Ellisse)

Tadhg O Cuilleannain of One Thousand Eyes
Tim Connor of Idaho Falls, Idaho

Gules, a harp, and in chief three doves volant, argent