minstrel: Re: Pastime with Good Company

Stephen Fryer sfryer at prcn.org
Fri Jun 17 15:41:33 PDT 2005

Martha Krieg wrote:

> I didn't see it either --- until I looked in the modern notation!

Ah, yes!  Sorry about my confusion.

The sharp in the modern transcription is a case of "musica ficta" where
the leading tone at a cadence is raised a semitone, but wasn't notated
because "everybody knows that's what you do."  Of course I have seen a
lot of disagreement over when and how such a rule should be applied in
15th and early 16th century music.

For earlier, Medieval music where it is somewhat doubtful that such
rules were in effect, playing them with an unraised leading tone sounds
"wrong" to a lot of people.

--
Stephen Fryer
Lund Computer Services