minstrel: Chanter & Drone Reeds for Galician Bagpipe

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Jun 7 14:50:55 PDT 2005

> Can anyone tell me where I might buy chanter and drone reeds for the
> Galician Bagpipe in the United States?

Chad,

The ususal problem with double-reeds is that most professional
musicians make their own reeds, so they look at you funny when you try
to get one made by someone else. However, on the plus side, you can
probably ask at a local (modern) music store and find someone to make
one for you. They'll need to look at the old reed and they'll probably
have to play it for a bit to get it right. But it's not fundamentally
different from any other capped reed, such as the modern highland
pipes.

-- Gregory