minstrel: Fwd: [MedievalTrivia] ivory flute

Lisa and Ken Theriot Lnktheriot at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 16 08:00:41 PST 2004

Tadhg wrote:

[A 35,000-year-old flute made from a woolly mammoth's ivory tusk has
been unearthed in a German cave by archaeologists, the University of
Tuebingen said on Friday.]

Yeah, but what we really want to know is: can they play it well enough
to determine the notes?  How many?  What are the intervals between the
notes?  Mode geeks want to know.

http://www.gletschergarten.ch/en/aktuell.html

This site has a photo of a flute from a similar region/timeframe, which
they identify as being carved from swan bone.  It has 3 holes, unevenly
spaced.  No info I could find on what notes are produced.

Irreverent post re: this article from another list:

35,000 years ago: "Ugh! Homemade enema pump no good! Have too many
holes! Me smash!"

Today: "Say, look at this thing! I bet it was a flute!"

Adelaide