minstrel: My first SCA poem...

Patricia Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Wed Mar 17 09:49:13 PST 2004

Greetings,

This is a very ambitious undertaking, and you are to be congratulated.  I'm
intrigued by your use of a rhymed stanzaic form rather than an alliterative
one, given your use of the language.  I do see a shift toward the older
alliterative form, in your translation, in the final verse.
Þam hild hebbaned hits unfæger heafod,

Could you elaborate on the choice of verse form?  And whether the line I
quoted indicates a shift in viewpoint from the French romance back toward
the Anglo-Saxon warrior tradition?  (Arthur turns from personal despair to
his public role as war leader.)  Or am I reading too much into this?

I might suggest that you use an earlier form of the name Guinevere in your
Anglo-Saxon translation.  I recall that she was named Gaynor in the Stanzaic
Morte Arthur
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/CAMELOT/TEAMS/stnzfrm3.htm
and Gaynor or Waynor in the Alliterative
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/CAMELOT/TEAMS/allitfrm.htm
which, of course, are later than the Anglo-Saxon version you're working
toward here, but closer timewise than Malory.

Afraid my Old English texts are packed at present, so I can't comment on the
translation itself at present.  It is of note, however, that the earliest
versions of the Arthuriad do not include the Guinevere-Lancelot-Arthur
triangle, which makes your use of the Old English even more noteworthy in
this context.
Vivien