minstrel: Tom O' Bedlam

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Jan 23 00:32:07 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:43:33PM -0800, Cynthia J Ley wrote:

> On the edge. Someone who had researched the song in depth told me it
> dates in a printed version from 1616.

It has several entries in Bruce Olson's 17th century Broadside Ballad
index, and appears in Simpson's _The British Broadside Ballad and It's
Music_. Let's see, music preserved in a lute manuscript circa
1613-1616. The earliest ballad he has for it is from 1634. I can't
recommend Simpson's book highly enough; it's in a lot of libraries,
and you can buy it secondhand over the 'net.

-- Gregory Blount