minstrel: Guitars

Tadhg O Cuileannain Tadhg at flash.net
Fri Dec 21 21:50:29 PST 2001

That's pretty much what I do--the cuatro (which has five courses) is in standard tuning
(actually terz, a minor third higher: CFBbDG) and the four course guitar is in D modal
(DGAD).  I'm still experimenting with different tunings for the oud.  I just wondered if
anyone had come up with any ideas I hadn't thought of yet.

I refer to plucked strings in contrast to bowed-- I confess I hadn't thought much about
the plucked-strummed contrast.  I suspect the critical factor there may be frets--it
would be very difficult to play any kind of chords beyond simple double stops on an
unfretted instrument, and the guitarra moriscas don't appear to be fretted.

Tadhg

Lisa and Ken Theriot wrote: On the other hand, the Cantigas (as well as many other
pre-1400 documents)

--
ÿWPC}