minstrel: Re: minstrel digest, Vol 1 #14 - 2 msgs

Eloise Beltz-Decker eloise at ripco.com
Mon Dec 17 12:42:20 PST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Brown, Charley W. wrote:

> I got one for ya. I have a friend who is interested in the sca but is
> wanting to know if a regular acustic guitar is period. Told him I would ask.
> Any and all replies greatly appreciated.

	Depends on what he means, but the answer is probably not. There
WERE hollow-bodied wooden instruments with strings stretched up necks,
fretted with one hand and plucked or strummed with the other - this is
the family the guitar belongs to. However, our standard figure-eight,
steel-strung, six strings tuned EADGBE guitar is fairly modern.

	I do have friends who use modern instruments to 'portray' period
ones - varying what it's strung with and what you tune it to can do a lot
towards making it possible to play in a more period way.

--
Eloise Beltz-Decker + eloise at ripco.com + http://www.ripco.com/~eloise
*"We have a problem with annoying, overused, past-the-sell-by-date