minstrel: Wire strings?

Fred (Flieg) Hollander flieg at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Dec 6 12:30:12 PST 2001

At 02:56 PM 12/6/01 -0600, brichard wrote:
>>===== Original Message From "Fred (Flieg) Hollander"
><flieg at socrates.Berkeley.EDU> =====
>>At 11:55 AM 12/6/01 -0600, brichard wrote:
>>>[... playing nearly twin harps, one in brass, one in bronze ...]
>>
>>   Woo!  Woo!  Experiment!  Is there likely to be _really_ good recording
>>equipment at this conference?  If there is, then maybe you could send the
>>recording to someone to do frequency analysis?  (Not that I distrust the
>>subjective analysis; it is critically important to performance. I just want
>>to see the sound analysis to see if it can be correlated to the subjective
>>impression.  You can tell that I am a scientist out here in the 21st C.)
>
>I plan to have at very least a casette recorder with a nasty little mic.  I'd
>like to have a better mic by then, though.  Someone else who usually makes it
>to these things has a fairly nice mini-disk with the default mic.
>
>Is any of this sufficient?

   Um, not for the analysis I had in mind. For that you would want studio-
quality mikes and tape, if not better. I had no idea what the nature
of the conference was; it might have had such things ready.  Actually you
could probably do some analysis from a record made on a fast computer using
a decent mike attached to a decent sound-card and some program like
Audio-Grabber.

   *   *   *    Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OP, OL, etc.
  *|* *|* *|*   flieg at socrates.berkeley.edu
  (((Flieg Hollander, Chemistry Dept., U.C. Berkeley)))
 ===A crank.========= Old Used Duke ======Not a tool.=====
 [All subjects of the Crown are equal under its protection.]