minstrel: A question for the moderator...

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Dec 5 14:09:14 PST 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:23:06PM -0600, sunshinegirl wrote:

> I found out today that the list is set to reply to sender, not to the
> list....

Yes. That's because of 2 reasons:

1) When you screw up and don't look at the email headers, the worst
that can happen is that you can send a message to 1 person instead of
the entire list. Contrast this to the people who accidentally mailed a
letter intended for the King of Atlantia to the entire Kingdom. And
no, it wasn't something you'd want everyone to read. Another example
is a well known academic dance researcher who mailed a private email
critiquing someone else's work to the entire RENDANCE mailing list.
Again, it wasn't exactly phrased diplomatically.

2) It's technically bad, for reasons that make sense to computer
people. See: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Because this is a minority view, and because people don't look at
their email headers very carefully, people have to be educated that
this list is different. I mention it from time to time, and when you
sign up, the signup mesage mentions this feature, in addition to the
bit about not posting virus warnings.

And yes, that's good proof that people don't read the introductory
message ;)

BTW, speaking of viruses, there's yet another virus going around that
affects people using Microsoft software. It makes itself look like
it's a reply to previous messages, so you may get email which looks
like it's from this mailing list. And it can infect you if you so much
as view it in the preview pane of Microsoft Outlook. If you are unable
to install secure software, such as anything not made by Microsft, you
can find out more at these URLs:

   http://antivirus.about.com/
   http://mcafee.com/
   http://www.symantec.com/
   http://www.microsoft.com/security/

As usual, please don't discuss viruses on the list, but email me if
you think you need to post something about it. Your best source of
information about Microsoft viruses is NOT a mailing list about
minstrels in the middle ages.

Gregory Blount