minstrel: Wire strings?

brichard brichard at pdq.net
Wed Dec 5 13:53:10 PST 2001

>===== Original Message From "Myra Hope Bobbitt" <mhbobbitt at hotmail.com> =====
>Greetings, all!
>[...]
>a)  Does anyone on the list know where to get a hold of wire strings?  I've
>seen some recommend piano wire.  Are there other options?

I buy my wires (Phosphor bronze) from Melody's Traditional Music and Harp
Shoppe (www.folkharp.com).  They have a HUGE book with the string gauge charts
for literally dozens of harps made all over the world.  They can probably tell
you what gauges you need for ewach sting if you don't already know, and they
can sell you the wires as well.

I'm considering switching over to Brass, which Melody's doesn't carry.  Brass
has a sweeter and mellower tone, but isn't as strong as bronze... so it breaks
more frequently.  Robinson sells brass.

Also, The Instrument Workshop (http://www.fortepiano.com) sells all kinds of
wire intended for musical instruments.  See their "Strings and Wire page
(http://www.fortepiano.com/wire.htm).

  Enjoy!
    Telynor
m.k.a.